2004 engine in a 2001 Disco

therealboss

What would be involved in putting a 2004 TD5 in 2001 Disco, my engine is knackered and I need to fit a new one. I can't afford a brand new on but I have 2 offers of an engine from a 2004 Disco but as I understand it there in a difference in the TD5 after 2002. I understand that the engine will fit but there are some changes in the engine before and after 2002. Has anyone fitted a 2004 TD5 in a 2001 Disco and if so what did you have to do.

Hi we are in the process of putting a 2002 engine into a 2000 TD5. Before I did it I asked around and some people said it wasn't possible because off different pressures but then a few people said it was if you swaped the injectors over. Which I have done.

The engine runs fine for about 10mins and then shuts off, had someone from Landrover come and test it and he said all the injectors and electrics were fine that the problem we had is mechanical. Possibly the fuel pressure switch, fuel pump is screaming (altough its new) but when he disconected the air filter and sprayed carb cleaner in the hose it ran for ages then seemed to run out of fuel, sprayed it again and it picked up. Runs better than it ever did, really responsive just cant get it to go for long enough!

If I make any progress on getting it sorted I'll let you know, would be interested to find out for sure myself. If you or anyone has any info on pressure swithches and the difference between the two types I'd be grateful if you could drop me a line. My philosophy of if they can put a man on the moon then I can put a newer engine into a TD5 is costing me a fortune!

Carl

Hi we are in the process of putting a 2002 engine into a 2000 TD5. Before I did it I asked around and some people said it wasn't possible because off different pressures but then a few people said it was if you swaped the injectors over. Which I have done.

The engine runs fine for about 10mins and then shuts off, had someone from Landrover come and test it and he said all the injectors and electrics were fine that the problem we had is mechanical. Possibly the fuel pressure switch, fuel pump is screaming (altough its new) but when he disconected the air filter and sprayed carb cleaner in the hose it ran for ages then seemed to run out of fuel, sprayed it again and it picked up. Runs better than it ever did, really responsive just cant get it to go for long enough!

If I make any progress on getting it sorted I'll let you know, would be interested to find out for sure myself. If you or anyone has any info on pressure swithches and the difference between the two types I'd be grateful if you could drop me a line. My philosophy of if they can put a man on the moon then I can put a newer engine into a TD5 is costing me a fortune!

Carl

Thanks for the info, I have just been given a bit of good news, it looks like the engine in mine is not as bad as I first thought. After removing the sump the main bearings show no signs of heat but the shells show signs of wear, but the crank looks fine apart from some very small filings from the shells in the oil journals.

So the master plan is to replace the shells and the big ends after flushing out the journals. Just about to remove the rocker cover to see if it all looks ok, fingers crossed all will be well. I will again replace the oil and filters after a week just in case we don't manage to flush everything out while its all apart.

All this because the bolt failed on the oil pump drive, ONLY ON A LANDROVER............ :)

If the above works out I will not need to change the engine, but on the other hand..

If after we start it we find more problems I will have to look again at an engine swap so I will keep an eye out on this thread to see how you get on.

I might still but the 2004 engine thats for sale as I can always fit it to my 90 :)

Carl

Have you get the fuel pipes on correct as the later engines have a different fuel reg as the head is drilled different.

My pump was screaming as the filter was blocked!

Lynall

Hi Lynall,

I've put a new filter on but am not sure about the fuel reg? I think the pipes are right do you have any more info on this please? If possible I'd like to know what pipe does what (feed/return). Thinking of changing the reg and putting the old one on from the older engine, what do you think.?

Thanks Carl

Quick look on Rave and there are only 2 pipes to the engine the high pressure from the in tank pump which goes straight to the reg, and the return from the reg which goes to the cooler then back to the filter head.

So i dont think your prob is the reg its just need the piping checking because regardless the piping must be similiar between the 01 and 04 model as its only the engine thats different

Seems fuel goes through low pressure stage in the in tank pump to the filter head back to the second high pressure 60psi stage in the in tank pump, then up to the engine to the reg on the head.

Lynall

Quick look on Rave and there are only 2 pipes to the engine the high pressure from the in tank pump which goes straight to the reg, and the return from the reg which goes to the cooler then back to the filter head.

So i dont think your prob is the reg its just need the piping checking because regardless the piping must be similiar between the 01 and 04 model as its only the engine thats different

Seems fuel goes through low pressure stage in the in tank pump to the filter head back to the second high pressure 60psi stage in the in tank pump, then up to the engine to the reg on the head.

Lynall

Thanks for that Lynall. I've been talking to someone today who thinks it could be a diesel temp problem, apparently if too hot engine shuts down after a few mins so am going to investigate the cooler a bit.

Thanks again Carl