vibration when braking ??

PADDY HOEY

any ideas why my 2004 disco td5 would vibrate the steering wheel when braking, doesnt do it all the time. wheels are tight, discs and pads are new. also the is no pulsing on the pedal. any input is very welcome. thanks paddy :lol:

Your discs have probably become impregnated with pad material. This is caused by doing crash stops and then holding the brakes on while stationary. I know we all have to do this at one time or another, but it does cause all sorts of problems like discs that feel warped, squeal, etc.

Or you have not bedded in your new discs and pads properly. I know that in the old days they always said to drive slowly for the first 100 miles or so, but the new theory is that you should accelerate to 60, stop quite hard down to 30, let the brakes off, accelerate back to 60 and do it again about 10 times. Then drive slowly. You can google on this and will find a few sites that all say basically the same thing.

It is rather like bedding in new piston rings, except then you do not have to brake.

ps. is it Disc or Disk? I tend to use one or the other but try not to mix them in the same sentence.