90 Clutch Slip, Common or Unlucky?

A couple of weeks back, the clutch on my 90 slipped slightly a couple of times after descending a long, steep hill after following two slow cars. It's a 2002 and has only done 38,000 miles. My previous 90, which I sold to a friend, was of a similar age and mileage and that started slipping, although an adjustment of the pedal linkage freeplay seemed to have cured it temporarily. Before anyone jumps in with both feet, I don't rest my foot on the clutch or do any other strange things and this is my 16th Landy and about my 200th vehicle in 44 years driving and I've never had a clutch go before! Just wondered if both motors were victims of previous rough driving owners or whether it's a fault that is more common than I realised. I always thought Defender clutches were pretty robust. As I'm getting on a bit, it's not a job that I'm looking forward to and I'm even getting quotes.. (sigh...)

A couple of weeks back, the clutch on my 90 slipped slightly a couple of times after descending a long, steep hill after following two slow cars. It's a 2002 and has only done 38,000 miles. My previous 90, which I sold to a friend, was of a similar age and mileage and that started slipping, although an adjustment of the pedal linkage freeplay seemed to have cured it temporarily. Before anyone jumps in with both feet, I don't rest my foot on the clutch or do any other strange things and this is my 16th Landy and about my 200th vehicle in 44 years driving and I've never had a clutch go before! Just wondered if both motors were victims of previous rough driving owners or whether it's a fault that is more common than I realised. I always thought Defender clutches were pretty robust. As I'm getting on a bit, it's not a job that I'm looking forward to and I'm even getting quotes.. (sigh...)

Before anything else, check if you've left the wading plug in. I did and it got water in. Clutch slipped. Took it out, water ran out, clutch dried, no probs. Possibility of oil in there from (crankcase?) seal but if so the clutch will be u/s. I'll keep my fingers x-ed for ya!

Simon.

Before anything else, check if you've left the wading plug in. I did and it got water in. Clutch slipped. Took it out, water ran out, clutch dried, no probs. Possibility of oil in there from (crankcase?) seal but if so the clutch will be u/s. I'll keep my fingers x-ed for ya!

Simon.

I'll check for oil, but it won't be water, haven't been off road or even out in the rain since winter. A short time later: Removed plug, no oil or water.. Got a quote for £400 inc vat, inc clutch.. I think it's worth it to me...