Genuine Caliper seal kit won't fit

JimAttrill

Got a Disco I in with leaking brake fluid. Changed the caliper seals on the RHS, but noticed when stripping the LHS caliper that the tin retaining rings were missing. Now, these had obviously been left off deliberately because there is no way they can fall off.

On fitting a genuine caliper kit AEU1547 I found that there was no way to get the retaining rings in as the hole is definitely too small. I even have a 'special tool' which is the remains of a ball bearing with balls and outer removed - the inner bit fits exactly over the piston so that a g-clamp can be used to press the retaining rings into place.

So I am getting a second hand caliper and will try fitting the kit to that.

Either the genuine kit is too big or the caliper holes are too small. Anyone else come across this?

I guess your talking about front calipers. According to LR, AEU1547 isn't supposed to be used on front calipers as the these are not serviceable items. In fact we all know that we can use the kit. But NOT the steel retaining rings. They have a different geometry (look carefully from a side). Even if they fit they're likely to fall out shortly (indeed, they can't fall off).

Use the old rings (lightly clean the rust and use a rust killer on them if necessary - I use Loctite Rust Remedy). If you say you have a SH 300 series caliper handy, gently recover a retaining ring from it.

"I would use the old rings but there weren't any to re-use! "

Try to source some from old 300 series calipers if you can. If not, try using the new ones from the kit. Find a way to deform/compress them a little bit in another caliper or piece of pipe or bearing race and hope for the better.

"My Microcat shows AEU1547 for front and back of Disco I's."

Not if you set up the correct VIN and MY. It will show: " Not applicable to this specification" or alike.