Brake Job!!

Disco0311

I will start my 60000 mile maintance / I was planning in doing only brakes first / changing pads, etc. / winter is coming and, I need the car to have no problems, we live on a mountain , and my family rides in the truck /

1. Should I change the Rotors?

2. What type of pads should I use?

3. Any other parts, what else will I need?

4. I bought the Disco with 55000 miles, - MY FIRST ROVER -. I do not have past records. So I do not know the condition of this parts.

5. The truck rides excellent, and brakes react very good, but I can feel that I have to go farther down to break.

6. Type of brake oil?

7. Special tools?

8. Tips welcome, (I will use a rave cd, but experience is the best manual)

9. I will pull a trailer in a year or two.

Any help is appreciated, ..

thanks

Luis

I will start my 60000 mile maintance / I was planning in doing only brakes first / changing pads, etc. / winter is coming and, I need the car to have no problems, we live on a mountain , and my family rides in the truck /

1. Should I change the Rotors?

2. What type of pads should I use?

3. Any other parts, what else will I need?

4. I bought the Disco with 55000 miles, - MY FIRST ROVER -. I do not have past records. So I do not know the condition of this parts.

5. The truck rides excellent, and brakes react very good, but I can feel that I have to go farther down to break.

6. Type of brake oil?

7. Special tools?

8. Tips welcome, (I will use a rave cd, but experience is the best manual)

9. I will pull a trailer in a year or two.

Any help is appreciated, ..

thanks

Luis

Hi Luis,

Here are my thoughts:

1. If the discs are in good ungrooved condition, I would leave them;

2. Standard pads will be fine, just make sure that you give the calipers a good clean, particularly the pistons, before you push them back in. Remember to take off the master cylinder cap before compressing the pistons.

3. A std pads fitting kit;

4. If in doubt, replace;

5. That's probably due to pad wear;

6. Dot 4. Might be worth doing a full change of the brake fluid. This will involve bleeding the brakes. As you have abs, it is more complicated I believe.;

7. None that I can think of, but make sure you have some high-meltpoint grease such as Copper-Slip;

8. After the new pads are fitted. Drive gently for 5 mins and do some light braking to settle the pads. Once this has been done, do a series of very firm braking manouvers from 60mph down to 30, back up to 60. Do this 10 ten times and your brakes will be well bedded-in.:

9. The vehicle is completely designed to brake safely whilst pulling a trailer. Just check the pads every 3 months for wear.

Hope that helps, if you have any doubts about being able to do this, let a garage do it. Brakes need to be done properly, your familys life might depend on it.

Cheers

Dave

Fill in your profile, then people will know whereabouts you are in the world when trying to help you.