3.9 fuel pump plug

stevegibbs

Has anyone had a problem with the electric connection between the fuel pump and the plug that goes into it on a 3.9i 1994. I have removed and cleaned and tweaked the plug and pins several times which fixes the problem for a while. On an earlier model the socket was on a wire so i have replaced the connectors but on this one the socket is moulded onto the pump all ideas gratefully received (apart from buy a new one)

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone had a problem with the electric connection between the fuel pump and the plug that goes into it on a 3.9i 1994. I have removed and cleaned and tweaked the plug and pins several times which fixes the problem for a while. On an earlier model the socket was on a wire so i have replaced the connectors but on this one the socket is moulded onto the pump all ideas gratefully received (apart from buy a new one)

Steve

I have had similar problem, very irritating - pump replaced (ESR3926) but still does not always run. Main dealer says plug is not spare part - it only comes with the pump.

Replacing both the fuel pump relay and the fuel injection system relay (both AFU2913L on my vehicle) seems to have improved the situation considerably, so might be worth a try (about £15 each).

If you identify a source for the plug please post - I would still like to replace the plug which dealer filled with waterproofing grease, and could be resulting in a poor connection.

Strangely, releasing the fuel cap sometimes gets pump going!

Angus

Thanks for the info i will renew the relays, might be the contacts are getting grubby and trying to draw more power which puts more load on the fuel pump plug. Letting the pressure out of the tank might also be taking the load of the pump when it starts. i leave the carpet loose so i can get to the pump plug quicker but theres always a boot full of junk.

Steve