Discovery I odo meter & trip meter numbers not clear

Thys

The one thing that is starting to bother me on my Disco I 300 is the fact that even in day light, I need a flash light to read the odometer and trip meter, the white numbers seems to covered in a gray soot, or the white numbers are fading away. Is there any way to fix this? I am prepared to open the cluster, but if it is not worth the effort, I won't go that route.

I zero my trip meter each time I fill the tank, so that is my life line when traveling long distances. I do not have the luxury of a GPS, I still use those wonderful colored books called maps. :rolleyes:

I have a dimmer fitted to the dash lights of my '96 300TDi and to read the Odo I have to turn it right up and really focus on the numbers - its always been like that and I think its just as a result of poor light distribution inside the binnacle - I've even changed to LEDs for all the dash lighting and its made no difference!

Not very helpfull, but at least you know you're not alone!

As for the striping of the thing - its easy enough to do, a few screws and snap connectors and it's all in your hands, then the clocks come out easy enough - mine get a yearly spring clean and the whole job only takes an hour.......

I have a dimmer fitted to the dash lights of my '96 300TDi and to read the Odo I have to turn it right up and really focus on the numbers - its always been like that and I think its just as a result of poor light distribution inside the binnacle - I've even changed to LEDs for all the dash lighting and its made no difference!

Not very helpfull, but at least you know you're not alone!

As for the striping of the thing - its easy enough to do, a few screws and snap connectors and it's all in your hands, then the clocks come out easy enough - mine get a yearly spring clean and the whole job only takes an hour.......

Thanks Stageonesimmo.

My Discovery has the very basic trim and fittings, no dash light dimmer, thus the lighting density is allready max. At least I now know that it is an inherent factory/design problem.