Discovery td5 hot and Cold

smartie

hi all i have a 2000 (w) td5 discovery adventurer with climate control. it has recently had a new radiator. i have a few problems with it and would like everyones advise. firstly the heater doesn't get hot unless you drive it abit hard or fast. today i had it running on tick over then had it running at 3000 rpm for 30 minutes, the engine got to central point on the temp gauge and the heater gave out stone cold air. i thought i'd found the problem but sadly not, they was a hole in the metal pipe below the radiator (which if i was to buy a new one would be £175 plus vat) this was causing it to loose water, and resulted in the engine getting quite hot but even then there was no hot are from the heater. any ideas anyone?

sounds like you have air in the coolant system that requires bleeding. when air passes through the heater matrix behind the dash, there is very little heat in it compared to the coolant that should be there so the air being blown over the matrix wont be heated.

should be a guide on here on how to do it, although bleeding the coolant system on any vehicle is generally the same :)

On my 2001 Td5 when the heater began acting up - warm/cold/warmagain etc - I was blaming the control unit on the dash .

However it turned out the coolant level had gone low due to a leak and when topped up there was air in the system - luckily I did no damage .

I fixed the leak - bled the system and heater has been fine since .

So I would suggest that when the level went low some air got into your cooling system and is still there. If I remember correctly you can detach the expansion bottle from its mountings and hold it a few inches above its normal position . Then open bleed screws until all bubbles stop coming out . Retighten bleed screws , refit expansion tank and fill to normal level .

Run engine - even if gauge doesn't reach halfway mark (that's where mine always sits ) you should still have warm air from the heater .

I find the gauge doesn't reach the halfway mark until I have driven a few miles in the morning .