Rear propshaft removal

hattymender

My friend's Freelander has got shot viscous mounting bearings. Spares not available 'till mid week. "No problem, we'll take prop off 'till spares come it's easy on a Land Rover" says me.

75% easy of the way in and we're stuck at the gear box end. Does the prop pull out of the rubber gaiter 'Ford style' with a circlip retaining it? Or do we have to unbolt the cylinder it pushes into? Or something else?

Please help a Defender owner out of his comfort zone :(

My friend's Freelander has got shot viscous mounting bearings. Spares not available 'till mid week. "No problem, we'll take prop off 'till spares come it's easy on a Land Rover" says me.

75% easy of the way in and we're stuck at the gear box end. Does the prop pull out of the rubber gaiter 'Ford style' with a circlip retaining it? Or do we have to unbolt the cylinder it pushes into? Or something else?

Please help a Defender owner out of his comfort zone :(

Neither!

Undo the star bolts on the faces of each end of the WHOLE prop, IRD and Rear Diff, and drop the VCU as well. Take the whole lot of as one unit.

You can then remove the VCU on the bench.

Cheers for that, I'd already sussed it this afternoon but wanted re-assurance 'cos it's not mine. Plus I'm at 'hero' status with the owner 'cos I could change his cam belt without a manual (followed Les Henson's write up though).

Cheers for that, I'd already sussed it this afternoon but wanted re-assurance 'cos it's not mine. Plus I'm at 'hero' status with the owner 'cos I could change his cam belt without a manual (followed Les Henson's write up though).

I'm just in the process of changing my VCU and bearings, got the whole assembly off, split the VCU from the propshafts and new ready to fit the new VCU bearings to the VCU. Anyone got any suggestions for fitting the bearings however as I cant find any info on the best way to do it it? Not too keen too start whacking it with a hammer if there is a better way! Also assume the 2 metal rings that come with it are to act as seals and I'm supposed to pack the bearing with grease? My old ones that came off only seemed to have a seal on the inner side rather than both sides???

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!