Performance vs Tyre Size...

Mark

I am currently intending to fit 235/85-16s to my D1. No Lift at present, but I am putting the RR Police Spec Springs on, which should help a little.

How badly will the 235s hit the performance of a tired 200TDI?

Would I be better off going for a smaller radius (if so, what?) since this is a multi purpose vehicle, and will be used for towing as well as off roading.

ta

Mark

I am currently intending to fit 235/85-16s to my D1. No Lift at present, but I am putting the RR Police Spec Springs on, which should help a little.

How badly will the 235s hit the performance of a tired 200TDI?

Would I be better off going for a smaller radius (if so, what?) since this is a multi purpose vehicle, and will be used for towing as well as off roading.

ta

Mark

Mark.....

I recently fitted 235/85's to my 300tdi 'toy' Disco (not my daily driver Disco). The performance hit IS noticable, especially when pulling away - the best analogy I can use is it feels like your driving 1 gear higher, so it's like trying to pull away in 2nd, etc. I often find myself cruising in 4th as it feels like 5th, and I can only use 5th to maintain 70mph, and then only on a flat road.

You'll have to do some wheelarch trimming (mainly at the back, but also the front bumper end-caps) to prevent fouling (as in catching, not as in pants!), and the steering stops will need to be wound out a bit to prevent the tyres from rubbing against the chassis/suspension arms.

If you're thinking of towing with 235's I'd DEFINITELY have reservations.

At the moment I'm on the lookout for a Defender transfer box which has 1:1.4 gearing rather than the Disco's 1:1.2 - apparently this solves the gearing problems.

Hope that helps

Dunk

Oh yeah..... and I'm also in the process of getting extended bump-stops to prevent the top of the tyre hitting the top of the wheelarch when off-roading.

235/85's do however make a Disco look a lot more 'purposeful' IMHO :D

Dunk

Mark.....

I recently fitted 235/85's to my 300tdi 'toy' Disco (not my daily driver Disco). The performance hit IS noticable, especially when pulling away - the best analogy I can use is it feels like your driving 1 gear higher, so it's like trying to pull away in 2nd, etc. I often find myself cruising in 4th as it feels like 5th, and I can only use 5th to maintain 70mph, and then only on a flat road.

You'll have to do some wheelarch trimming (mainly at the back, but also the front bumper end-caps) to prevent fouling (as in catching, not as in pants!), and the steering stops will need to be wound out a bit to prevent the tyres from rubbing against the chassis/suspension arms.

If you're thinking of towing with 235's I'd DEFINITELY have reservations.

At the moment I'm on the lookout for a Defender transfer box which has 1:1.4 gearing rather than the Disco's 1:1.2 - apparently this solves the gearing problems.

Hope that helps

Dunk