Where does this go?

mickeyw

Hi All,

I recently rebuilt my Marreli alternator on my 3.9 EFI with new bearings. I thought I had made careful note of where everything went, except for this bit....

post-7124-1230118800_thumb.jpg

I know it's a suppressor, and I know it bolts to one of the three bolts that go through the casing. But where should the other end of it (ring terminal) be connected to? :unsure:

post-7124-1230119331_thumb.jpg

And could its absence be what is causing erratic idle speeds? They were fine before I took the alternator off.

Any ideas please??

Put the black plastic cover on then it connects to the rev counter terminal and mounts to the stud directly across from the terminal.

Steve

ETA Your idle issue may just be a sticky extra air valve on the back of the plenum. They are famous for gumming up.

Steve

It is bolted to the back of the Plenum chamber on the top of the engine (three allen head screws) and has a hose going to it from the throttle body.

It can be stripped and cleaned.

Try the Tech archive there is probably a piece in there about how to strip it because it is something that needs doing often.

Not done one myself but I believe you remove the cylindrical part of the valve which then shows the plunger. I believe you then have to switch the ignition a few times to drive the plunger out (stepper motor). Ones apart you just need to clean it all up and reassemble.

Steve