heater blower...

welshphill

hey guys and guyettes,

got a prob with me disco 200.... it's the heater blower!!

if i don't use the landi for a day or two me heater blower will work normally and switch between positions 2 and 3 (No1 has never worked) for an hour or so. but if i switch it off the blower then it'll not cum back on again...

if i use her daily and use the heater blower, it'll work intermittantly for a while then the bugger just won't work at all!!! as i live in the French Alps and theres snow everywhere, i need me blower reeeeeeeel bad...

do u think it's a switch problem or the relay in the kick panel???

sorry to ask, normally i'd just roll up me sleeves, get me big brew mug out and get a fettling/fiddling. but i don't wanna stand out in this weather stripping me dash as in 5 mins me hands would be numb, i b tiddle'd off and as they said in the 80's

IT'S HAMMER TIME.....

thanks in advance o sum help me out answers

:i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy:

Why don't you fiddle with it when you come back home and it's warmer inside? Or get a cheap 220V heater, hook it to mains in your home and get it inside the Disco (watch out for fire hazard).

Unfortunately its a case of hands on diagnostics better to be done when the blower stops working. It could be the switch, the connectors, the motor or other things. I can help you with the wiring diagram if you need it, just tell me the make year your Discovery is.

Why don't you fiddle with it when you come back home and it's warmer inside? Or get a cheap 220V heater, hook it to mains in your home and get it inside the Disco (watch out for fire hazard).

Unfortunately its a case of hands on diagnostics better to be done when the blower stops working. It could be the switch, the connectors, the motor or other things. I can help you with the wiring diagram if you need it, just tell me the make year your Discovery is.

Do you notice whether the lights dim or not when you put blower switch on when the blower doesn't work?

My blower stopped working all together but when the lights were on and I put the switch to position 3 the lights dimed (motor drawing charge) but the blower refused to work. Having mistakenly left it like this for a minute or two driving home the other night I got a nice smell of burning! :o

Anyway took dash out and direct wired the motor once I had split the blower housing (thats fun) to find blower works ok. bearings are a little naffed but it works ok. Here is the switch DSCF0817.jpg

The spade connector to the switch was all melted :huh: Anyway, what I found was that the blower motor housing has rusted causing it to sit off centre in the blower housing this caused the hamster wheel to bind on the casing and stop spinning - motor still drawing charge and overloading the switch because it couldn't spin probably cause of switch melt down.

I have resoldered the switch and it now works. I cleaned all rust off the blower and reinstalled it in the blower housing only to find it is now a little loose and does the same thing - swims about causing the hamster wheel to catch on the blower housing :angry: and stop it spinning. I am going to now try and wedge it in position. Took pictures of it if your interested?

I don't know if any of that helps but as cipx2 says you might need to crack the heater out :blink:

DaveJ

• 5 weeks later...
Do you notice whether the lights dim or not when you put blower switch on when the blower doesn't work?

My blower stopped working all together but when the lights were on and I put the switch to position 3 the lights dimed (motor drawing charge) but the blower refused to work. Having mistakenly left it like this for a minute or two driving home the other night I got a nice smell of burning! :o

Anyway took dash out and direct wired the motor once I had split the blower housing (thats fun) to find blower works ok. bearings are a little naffed but it works ok. Here is the switch DSCF0817.jpg

The spade connector to the switch was all melted :huh: Anyway, what I found was that the blower motor housing has rusted causing it to sit off centre in the blower housing this caused the hamster wheel to bind on the casing and stop spinning - motor still drawing charge and overloading the switch because it couldn't spin probably cause of switch melt down.

I have resoldered the switch and it now works. I cleaned all rust off the blower and reinstalled it in the blower housing only to find it is now a little loose and does the same thing - swims about causing the hamster wheel to catch on the blower housing :angry: and stop it spinning. I am going to now try and wedge it in position. Took pictures of it if your interested?

I don't know if any of that helps but as cipx2 says you might need to crack the heater out :blink:

DaveJ

hi dave whats involved with removing the dash to get to swap the heater matrix . how many fixings are there n how long a job is it ? i snapped the end off the heater matrix whilst swapping my v8 to tdi engine didn,t realise till i started the engine and couldn,t stop the hose connection to the heater from dripping then i found out i had cracked the fitting . must have lowered the engine onto it . had to bypass the heater but need to get it fixed as i,m freezin mi nuts off! my brother has to relace his heater as the fan has packed in on his . both are 200 disco,s . cheers steve.