advice and knowlege

crazyfarmerboy

hello i am thinking of doing a daihatsu conversion on my land rover 110,

it currently has a 2.5 turbo engine

i have the kit required to do the work but is it worth it

has anyone driven this conversion and how is the engine compared to the turbo diesel

once you have the milner kit is there anything else you need

any othe help would be useful, thanks charlie

If you've already got the kit then probably best you carry on - there are other options out there but the one you have will be the cheapest now!

I take we're talking about the Diahatsu 2.8 TD here are we?

I've driven a 90 with this engine fitted - pulled like a train and the conversion wasn't too onerous either... The only thing I'd say is that parts for the Daihatsu can sometimes be a pain - firstly to obtain and secondly to pay for...

Also, having run a Range Rover Classic for a number of years which was fitted with a non-Land Rover engine, insurance could be a bind and, being a conversion, nothing was really "off the shelf" - eg exhaust, inlet pipework, drive belts etc. Little things like that really got to me in the end and I'm now wary of any vehicle which has been converted with a non-factory engine.

Matt

that sounds good then, i have a complete daihatsu with the 2.8td engine and have now aquired a conversion kit,

however i am now concerned abotu the insurance, i was planning to use the nfu who are usually good but do you think they will make the price alot higher if i use a non land rover engine?

thanks

i have had a look and they look good,

also is there anything that is worth doing to the engine before it is fitted, the speedo ready 30,000 miles but i assume that is 130,000 miles, however it runs sweet and starts easily with no blue or black smoke shown,

is it worth getting it pressure tested etc, thanks