Head Gasket?

DaveJ

Hello all,

I seem to have an oil leak (a reasonable dribble) on the old 200tdi that is proving to be a pig to trace. :angry:

It appears to be leaking from the back of the engine quite high up as it is running down both sides of the bell housing. Can't really see where from due to there being very little gap between the back of the engine and the bulkhead sound deadening. Its not the rocker cover gasket as that is new (it was the prime suspect originally as the old one looked well used).

Now although there is no oil in the water, or water in the oil I think (or at least it appeears to me) that the header tank is getting a little excess bit of pressure in it. Could the head gasket have gone leading to oil leaking out the back of the head down the bell housing? As I am not to familiar with the rear of the 200tdi (I am assuming it won't be dissimilar to the 300 I have) could it be a core plug?

Thoughts?

Thanks

DaveJ

You say you've replaced the rocker cover gasket.......did you change the 2 little semi-circular rubber grommits that sit below it in the head at the front and back??

Thanks for that Orange. No. I didn't know about those :huh: Will have a look for them and change them to see if it make's a difference.

Ta.

DaveJ

You say you've replaced the rocker cover gasket.......did you change the 2 little semi-circular rubber grommits that sit below it in the head at the front and back??

Thanks Orange you were spot on. No grommit at all at the backof the head :o Can't get one locally and need car running today so am going to have to silicon the hole up! :blink:

Ta

DaveJ