fault diagnosis on 300tdi edc

CURLY

right, i just took the air flow meter off and gave it a clean, and just to see if it worked, i tried to start the engine with the airflow meter un plugged, and guess what, it started!!??

it revved and ran just like before, so i'm wondering now if its that thats faulty?

I knew the part #, see post #21. But it's good you confirmed it.

It works without the MAF, just not as well. The ecu uses a default value when it's something (way) wrong with the MAF, so no surprise here.

That's the plug to the ECM ecu in the pics you posted. The wire colors are ok, except what you wrote as "white" it's actually "white with pink stripe" (maybe the pink's faded).

To attach these wires to a OBD plug you need to make the following connections:

- black > to pins 4 and 5

- white with light green s. > to pin 7

- white with pink s. > to pin 15

- brown with orange s. > to pin 16

I'm not sure if you can clear the fault code by removing the main battery for a while but you can try, it can't hurt. There's no other way I know of.

I hope I answered all your Qs.

Ally V8, I initially referring to VINs that have an F as engine code and correspond in real life to EDC engines, look back at my post #19. The ones with a "7" are recognized as EDCs no problem as per the config file ...:/LRE_Data/VIN/eng.vin

Thanks just the same.

But this gave me an idea. Try replacing the F with a 7 in CURLY's VIN and see what the T1 calls for, maybe it will ask for the other adapter.

I knew the part #, see post #21. But it's good you confirmed it.

It works without the MAF, just not as well. The ecu uses a default value when it's something (way) wrong with the MAF, so no surprise here.

That's the plug to the ECM ecu in the pics you posted. The wire colors are ok, except what you wrote as "white" it's actually "white with pink stripe" (maybe the pink's faded).

To attach these wires to a OBD plug you need to make the following connections:

- black > to pins 4 and 5

- white with light green s. > to pin 7

- white with pink s. > to pin 15

- brown with orange s. > to pin 16

I'm not sure if you can clear the fault code by removing the main battery for a while but you can try, it can't hurt. There's no other way I know of.

I hope I answered all your Qs.

Ally V8, I initially referring to VINs that have an F as engine code and correspond in real life to EDC engines, look back at my post #19. The ones with a "7" are recognized as EDCs no problem as per the config file ...:/LRE_Data/VIN/eng.vin

Thanks just the same.

But this gave me an idea. Try replacing the F with a 7 in CURLY's VIN and see what the T1 calls for, maybe it will ask for the other adapter.

WOW!!! you really know your stuff!

all i need to know now is where to buy an obd plug! unless they do an adaptor..

if not i'll solder it on and take it back to the garage.

its not going to blow up their diagnostic equipment is it? cos that would really suck..

thankyou all loads, you have all been really helpful!!

regards,

Sam

First of all you need to get a FEMALE OBD plug a.k.a. OBD SOCKET.

You can go to any scrap yard (not necessarily hosting LRs) and rip out one from any post '96 vehicle.

Can't advise where to buy one from.

I don't think there's any danger connecting any obd diagnostic equipment other than not being able to communicate with the ecu (providing you'll make the correct connections). Have a fire extinguisher at the ready, just in case :D

he he filling me with confidence there then!

dont suppose you know if snap-on do an adaptor for their solus reader do they?

and if i was calling around asking garages if they have the right plug, what plug do i say it is? a DTC0014A? or is it like a 5 pin flobalob plug or something like that?

also, i have been told that i cant just cut and splice an obd socket onto it, because it wont work.. evidently its due to the different signals or something, not just the plug holes being different..

does that sound right, or like a load of old cods wallop?

ta again!

SAM

I have no idea what SnapOn have or not.

What you've been told is generally true, but not in this case.

Like I said earlier (post #21) you have the option to connect the ecu to a Bosch diagnostic equipment. Even if they don't hve the correct adapter, there's one universal adapter with individual pins that they can use.

Any garage with a Bosch KTS (the hardware) and ESI -tronic (the software) should be able to help you.

All they need to know is the Bosch part #, which you have, and the configuration of the wires on the plug you have, which is:

- black > Ground

- white with light green stripe > K line

- white with pink stripe > L line

- brown with orange sstripe > +12V

They'll also need a KTS 5xx (that means "5 series", like like 500, 570 or 530) interface although there's also the KTS 650 listed.

I suppose you're from UK. You didn't fill in your location so I can't do a more specific search, but here's a place somewhere in the middle of UK that has what's needed: http://www.autopointmotcentre.co.uk/diagnostics.htm

Look for a garage in your area that has the Bosch testing equipment and get done with it. Unless you're going to do the obd socket adapter mod and go to a garage that has the LR Testbook.

You can try with any other diagnostic equipment you find/like (with the obd adapter). Nothing will fry or blow up. But I can't tell you which one will work or not.

right, i went to the scrap yard, chopped off an obd plug and spliced it onto my wires. got it booked in to the garage tomorrow to hopefully have the fault codes read..

fingers crossed!

will let you know if it works, so if the only other person in the entire world with the same 300 tdi version that i have can have their fault codes read when theirs packs up..

LOL!!

CURLY

OK, the garage which has the snap-on solus diagnostic equipment couldn't read the faults from it, so i will have to find somewhere close with the landrover testbook.

if no one can talk to the ecu, is there a manual way of finding the fault? test each sensor with a volt meter or something like that? because i dont mind doing that..

regards,

Sam

had it plugged in at Elliot Engineering.. what a brilliant bloke! found out that it was the boost pressure sensor. so thats next on my to do list!

hopefully its just gunked up with something and i can just un gunk it..

CURLY