Rear Door Leak

discodave

Hello all. My rear door seal does not seal against the body along the top on the drivers side and so lets the rain in. Is there an ajustment that can be made to pull the door closer to the body? The seal looks to be in okay condition but I I'm not sure if the door has been damaged somehow or if this a common problem. It's a 94 V8i Disco ES model. I've tried adjusting the main hinges but they dont go anywhere. I thought maybe the lock side could be adjusted. Any ideas?

DD.

I've tried adjusting the main hinges but they dont go anywhere.

Oh yes they go.

Undo the bolts from the top hinge 3-5 mm and brake the hinge loose from the paint which acts as a glue. Lifting the door from underneath (with the dooor 90 degrees open) should do the trick. Tight the bolts back with the hinge couple of mm further in and see how it works and if the seal is well pressed by the door at the top.

The door lock stricker can be adjusted as well with an allen key but it's not the way to do it in your case. The top hinge is the place to start.

If the top hinge is at the end of travel (it can cannot be shifted further in, only out) then come back and I will tell you what to do next.

On the "main Hinges" which nuts are you adjusting?

The ones inside the door are the ones that usually loosen off after time and need adjusting.

I had the same problem with my 97 Disco and it was just a matter of a friend lifting and pushing in the door and me tightening the inner door hinge nuts. The door doesn't rattle any more either. ;)

Todd.

Oh yes they go.

Undo the bolts from the top hinge 3-5 mm and brake the hinge loose from the paint which acts as a glue. Lifting the door from underneath (with the dooor 90 degrees open) should do the trick. Tight the bolts back with the hinge couple of mm further in and see how it works and if the seal is well pressed by the door at the top.

The door lock stricker can be adjusted as well with an allen key but it's not the way to do it in your case. The top hinge is the place to start.

If the top hinge is at the end of travel (it can cannot be shifted further in, only out) then come back and I will tell you what to do next.

Ta for that. I did try moving the main hinges with help from my girlfriend and although there did seem to be a little movement it was not significant enough to actually move the door closer to the body. However, I'll try again today and let you know what happens. Cheers. DD.

Good news. Loosened off the main hinge bolts again and this time I grabbed the door and pulled the bottom out slightly which had the effect of tilting the top in. I got my missus to nip up the bolts while I kept it in position and woopdeedoo, the seal now meets the body. :) Looks like it should be good now but there's a lot of rain forecast tomorrow and I'm off to Edinburgh so that should be a good test. Thanks again for your help.DD