Air spring Panic

NeilF

Help! Panic! fire flood and tempest!

I got a new air spring in from Craddocks. I jacked up the car and removed the wheel. I removed the clips from the top of the old airspring, but of course, couldn't remove the old one because it was fully compressed. So, I supported the chassis and dropped the axle. I then proceeded to remove the old air spring. I cut the pipe close to the old connector. Putting in the new one, it was a lot longer (unfolded?) than the old. I had to squash it a bit to get it in. Seated the bayonet, pushed the pins through the top plate and secured with the clips. Pushed the cut end of the pipe into the connector. Then raised the axle and put on the wheel. The new air spring is really squashed on itself here. Dropped the axle and turned on the engine. Nothing. Nada. completely squashed.

What did I do wrong? More to the point, what do I do now?

Now it's time to read this thread: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=38255

I jacked up the body and switched the engine off and on 5 times. I thought I had cracked it because the airbag inflated and took on the proper shape. However, when I lowered the body, the bag collapsed. I disconnected the battery and tried again. I drove over some wood several times. When I try to raise the ride height, the light on the dash comes on and it beeps, but goes out as soon as I let go of the button. I'd hate to go to the main dealer with my tail between my legs............

I jacked up the body and switched the engine off and on 5 times. I thought I had cracked it because the airbag inflated and took on the proper shape. However, when I lowered the body, the bag collapsed. I disconnected the battery and tried again. I drove over some wood several times. When I try to raise the ride height, the light on the dash comes on and it beeps, but goes out as soon as I let go of the button. I'd hate to go to the main dealer with my tail between my legs............

I drove it round the block and by the time I got back into the drive, it was UP! But... now it seems too high, and the the button for the ride height still does nothing, but beep and go out when I take my finger off.

I drove it round the block and by the time I got back into the drive, it was UP! But... now it seems too high, and the the button for the ride height still does nothing, but beep and go out when I take my finger off.

Postscript: I went to the supermarket and loaded up with the weeks shopping, including a case of beer. Came back, unloaded and tried the off-road height again. It pumped up perfectly and then came back down again. Perfect! I think my impression of the high ride height was skewed by it being on the bump stops for the last three days.

I would like to offer my thanks to all those on the forum who offered their valuable advice, either directly or indirectly (archived posts)

Despite the fact that changing the air spring was very easy, the post-fitting traumas experienced by myself and several others, and the range of 'cures' make it a bit of a "black art". I, for one, was about to shake my bag of bones and feathers at it as a last resort. Again, many thanks to the forum for having better ideas.