RR Classic Power Steering Pump

Dengie Boy

I have a 1987 V8 Rangerover Classic and my power steering pump is leaking from the shaft, otherwise its ok.

I've taken it off the engine to strip it down and replace the seal, but it looks like a sealed unit. Has anyone replaced the seals before? as I have seen pump repair kits for sale.

post-11055-1241890620_thumb.jpg

Hi ! I repaired a year ago my pump too.(My car 1988 RR. with Hoburn Eaton pump,as my as you)But i can't get down the black bottom section of the pump.First twist out the big nut ,where connect one servopipe.

i went in a powersteeringpump repair shop ,ant they help for me.The upper side and the bottom side is extrude, and they took apart for me that.

I've done one before.

When you remove the large hex fitting on the side the pressed metal housing comes off.

Be very careful though as there are some springs and plungers inside which if you put back in the wrong way round result in the pump not working........ask me how I know.

I repaired mine just with a box of mixed size O rings.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Now thats the bit Im stuck on :(

Seem to remember I whacked the shaft on the edge of my bench with a strategically placed bucket below.

If you are really stuck I see no reason why you can't drill a 1/16" hole through from the other side and drive it out with a punch (nail).

Steve