Charging Light

tiddler66

Hi all, perhaps some kind sole could identify the fault with my alternator. (I assume its a fault)

The charging red light is off at idle but it starts to glow as its revved, and as the revs increase it glows more brightly.

I do not know if its flattening the battery, as the car is laid up untill the chassis has been welded......(and I have removed the petrol tank....but I have conected a small gravity feed tank, just so that I can easily move it around the yard on my own).

What's the voltage at the battery under these conditions?

Not running.

Starting.

Running.

Revving.

That might give a pointer as to whether or not there is an electrical short or drain somewhere.

i had one like that on mine a few years ago on idle the light was off when reving / driving the light went out when i put a multi metor on it it proved when the charge light was on it was charging and not charging when the light was off so replaced the alternator with a new one.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

i had one like that on mine a few years ago on idle the light was off when reving / driving the light went out when i put a multi metor on it it proved when the charge light was on it was charging and not charging when the light was off so replaced the alternator with a new one.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

sorry ment to say reving / driving the light was on.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

What's the voltage at the battery under these conditions?

Not running.

Starting.

Running.

Revving.

That might give a pointer as to whether or not there is an electrical short or drain somewhere.

I won't get a chance to check untill Thursday at the earliest, but I will let you know the values, as soon as I can.

It could just be the brushes that are stuck or need replacing. Very easy to do, just take the back cover off, then remove the bit that covers the end of the spindle (2 screws IIRC) inside you will see two carbon brushes. They cost pence and sorted my alternator out when it was doing the same thing. Has to be worth a go before scrapping the alternator.