Truck dies! not happy!

weatherm

Ok guys .. I just rebuilt my steering column and got everything back together ( I never want to do that again ). Anyways everything was hooked back up and everything works great right! Idles fine clutch works (had to rebleed and the brakes work fine after a rebleed). So my friend drives it around the block and lets it idle for a few after he gets back. Everything is good. We flush the radiator and put more fluid back in it (of course). Crank it and let it idle (does great) go change clothes to do a celebratory dinner and I get 2 miles down the road and it just died unexpectedly after I take my foot off the gas. We coast and scratch our heads.... bonnet goes up and all is fine .. all hoses are connected and everything ... no smoke nothing all is well. We limp it back home by giving it gas all the way (had a few choke outs due to having to shift). It just dies now... you crank it it turns over and dies (charge light is on) you let it run (giving it gas) and charge light goes out and come back on after you take your foot off the gas and then it dies. Seems like its running rough seemed fine when we first cranked it. We cleaned out the carb and that didn't work.

The battery was out of the truck for 2 weeks while we replaced the steering column ( its 3 years old... but all the lights work and head lights and everything are fine) alternator is fairly new.....

we are just baffled.. it has to be something silly

Sounds like a fuel problem to me - the lift pump is on the same side as the steering column. Are you sure you didn't disturb anything?

Disconnect fuel pipe at carb and check you are getting good strong pulses of fuel when you crank the engine. You can also use the lever on the lift pump, but if the cam is in the wrong place it will stop the lever moving - I've always found it easier just to crank the engine.

Could also be ignition related. Check that the low tension wire is okay, and that the earth/low tension wire inside the distributor is okay and not shorting out.

A dodgy condenser can also have a similar affect as does points that have closed up or burnt out.

Ok guys thanks I'll check it. I cleaned out my idle jet in the carb (had gook on one end) I carb cleaned it out and did what I could at lunch.. took it for a pretty long drive and it worked fine... only died once when I put the choke in to quick ... idled and everything in the drive way.... I will keep you guys updated.

Could also be ignition related. Check that the low tension wire is okay, and that the earth/low tension wire inside the distributor is okay and not shorting out.

A dodgy condenser can also have a similar affect as does points that have closed up or burnt out.

I took out the idler jet and it had crud on it... it ran after that but not good. After dinner I drove to another place and instantly it was horrible ... couldn't get anything to work so I pulled over. Then I cleaned out the idle jet again and it ran like a champ. I was able to push the choke all the way in and no stalls ... .worked perfectly.

I guess I got a bad tank... bad gas... or just crud in there. Getting a inline fuel filter today.

It drove ok from cold, but not once it warmed-up? Sounds like over-fuelling perhaps, so carb problem maybe.

Les.