Gearbox rattle when starting...

Tomas4x4

Howdy!

When starting up my disco ('96 300tdi manual) there is a significant rattle coming from the gearbox area, this stops as soon as I depress the clutch pedal, or it will stop of its own accord within a few seconds. This seems very strange and worrying to me.

Have any of you guys come across this and know of the cause? and cure?

All advice is much appreciated!

Cheers.

Tom.

All manual gearboxes fitted to any kind of piston driven engine do that from new. Some louder, some softer, the 3 shaft boxes a little louder than 2 shaft one, the ones fitted to diesels do it a little louder etc. Of course, it gets louder and louder with wear and tear.

The causes are: inconsistency of engine speed and torque, lack of lubricant in the first seconds and the more or less normal play between the components.

The noise can also be heard after you think it disappears, only not so loud. The noise becomes louder after the gearbox gets hot and the oil in it gets thinner (after a long drive on the motorway on a hot day or when towing, for example).

Cure? Fit an electric engine or an auto gearbox.

Nothing to worry about. Click the "ignore" button in your head when you hear that noise :)

Howdy!

When starting up my disco ('96 300tdi manual) there is a significant rattle coming from the gearbox area, this stops as soon as I depress the clutch pedal, or it will stop of its own accord within a few seconds. This seems very strange and worrying to me.

Have any of you guys come across this and know of the cause? and cure?

All advice is much appreciated!

Cheers.

Tom.

My '97 300tdi manual does this too. Had it 2 years and it does it sometimes on startup, sometimes not. Result is always the same: usually a slight dip of either the clutch or accelerator pedal will make the noise go away, or diminish significantly.

Suggestions as to worn bearings, gearbox, clutch and lots of other expensive stuff. I can't say the clutch is worn, nor either boxes have trouble in operation. I'd not spend too much time worrying about it if I were you.