Gear Box

Hi all

What gearbox do i need to get hold of As im Doing a 100" Defender Using a Disco Chassis, But if i use the disco Box the Gear Leavers will be in the wrong place, and Want them to be in the right place,

So what box do i need?

Any Help Will Be appreciated

Thanks Jay

Hi, Perhaps you should buy the DVD "A 4X4 is born by Mark Evans". If you have not seen it, It is a DVD based around his project building a Hybrid like yours on a 1982 RRC. He swapped the original LT77 box with a shorter R380 unit (Mated to a 3.5 rover v8).

I should imagine if you want a manual. Just go for the LT77 (Fitted from all 90-110's from 1983 - 1994 I believe)

I also believe that you might be able to swap the longer bellhousing on a Disco/Rangie LT77 box with a 90-110 item, This would then bring the gear knobs in the right place?. But you will need to move the gearbox x-member and then you will need a longer rear propshaft.

A way of telling a LT77 from an R380 box is that reverse is in a diffent place (LT77 is Left and up) Whereas (R380 is Right and down)

Hope this helps.. Matt