Fed Up with Freelander problems

Luwts

Hi, last January we had a problem with the freelander engine, since the oil pump went bust and ruined the whole engine, and was beyond repair (td4) we opted for another second hand engine. We replaced the engine and everything worked perfectly, tough after a week or so, the top angled pipe was punctured by the self tapping bracket there is near. The feeling this gives you is, you start driving normally but after some time it loses power and you can hear the boost going out from the pipe. We renewed the pipe and everything went well for a month or so. The new problem is this, you're driving normaly going up in gears, and as you reach 60 to 70 mph the engine loses power, comes like without a turbo, loss of boost or even maybe a rev limiter but I know i've driven it much faster than that, than I go down in gear and not even with a lower gear, can't get the most of its power. So Last Saturday when this happened again, stopped near the side, switched the car off, and started again, and everything came to normal again,

Anyone got an answer before I get the matchsticks?

Luwts

all I can say is I'm really disappointed :(

What, in the car or the Forum? Be careful with your answer...

FWIW, that sounds like two faults. If the car has a VNT turbo (no idea, never driven one) then it could be a part melted VNT vane control pipe (it happened on my Skoda, exactly those symptoms). The other is unlikely (boost diaphragm) because I suspect your engine doesn't have an injector pump, though that gives v. similar problems.

Hi, last January we had a problem with the freelander engine, since the oil pump went bust and ruined the whole engine, and was beyond repair (td4) we opted for another second hand engine. We replaced the engine and everything worked perfectly, tough after a week or so, the top angled pipe was punctured by the self tapping bracket there is near. The feeling this gives you is, you start driving normally but after some time it loses power and you can hear the boost going out from the pipe. We renewed the pipe and everything went well for a month or so. The new problem is this, you're driving normaly going up in gears, and as you reach 60 to 70 mph the engine loses power, comes like without a turbo, loss of boost or even maybe a rev limiter but I know i've driven it much faster than that, than I go down in gear and not even with a lower gear, can't get the most of its power. So Last Saturday when this happened again, stopped near the side, switched the car off, and started again, and everything came to normal again,

Anyone got an answer before I get the matchsticks?

Luwts

I had a similar problem with our 20003 Td4, drove well for a while then once in a steady state of c3000 rpm on motorway etc stuggled to reach 75/ 80 mph.

I solved this by replacing the PCV, cranckcase breather assembly. The engine note changed and she became quieter and responsive above 3000 rpm.

There is a a thread on the same subject with c 4000 viewings with a recommendation to substitute the LR part for the BWM alternative. The BM part is stated on the thread.

Cost is £43 inc tax approx and an easy diy job that took me with no specilaist tools around 1.5 hrs.

Mike H