Aluminium Restoration

jeremyf

Hi, I'm doing a cheap and cheerful rolling restoration of a 90 and I have a number of areas on the body (bottom of rear door) where the aluminium corrosion is so severe I can poke a screwdriver through to the door frame. Whats the best way to deal with this? I'm only really trying to preserve/halt corrosion rather than making it look perfect.

How do I clean this powder away without damaging the good aluminium? Is there a chemical (maybe phosphoric acid/jenolite) that will do the job. What about a brass wire wheel for the angle grinder? There are surface patches of corrosion all over the body so I'd like to prepare these quickly before spraying.

Next thing is once its clean metal, should I primer it with etch primer and use fibreglass or car body filler to fill it? What have other people done successfully?

Many thanks

Jeremy

cheap and cheerful way is to cut the rot out and weld in new plate (if you have facilities) or rivet a repair plate over. the door skins are ally over a rusty steel frame to to halt this properly you need to isolate the two metals, some people use silicone sealer with reasonable results, or replace the door skin if the frames are ok.

If you do a search you'll find most things have been covered and theres a goldmine of info in the tech archive

Welcome to the forum BTW

Mike