RRC Heavy duty rear bumper Fabrication

Will C

I have a nice piece of folded 5mm steel (about 150 * 100mm) and I plan to make a HD rear bumper for the classic. Would anybody out there know the corret angle for the chassis Mounts to the horizontal or vertical planes from previous experiments or projects?

Thanks

Will

150*100*5 sounds pretty big. I've no idea what the angles of the chassis brackets are, though it would be easy enough to measure with just an ordinary protractor and a plumb line.

IIRC the only bits I accurately measured when making mine was the holes for the bolts thought the chassis cross member. The rest was guestimated or a case of attaching the brackets to the chassis and supporting the new bumper next to them and then tack welding together.

150*100*5 sounds pretty big. I've no idea what the angles of the chassis brackets are, though it would be easy enough to measure with just an ordinary protractor and a plumb line.

IIRC the only bits I accurately measured when making mine was the holes for the bolts thought the chassis cross member. The rest was guestimated or a case of attaching the brackets to the chassis and supporting the new bumper next to them and then tack welding together.

Thanks Chris - Can I take it from that that you made a plate to go through the dropplate points (presumably for stronger recovery) and made a couple of other strong brackets as well?

Will

This is the best pic I've currently got of the rear bumper online. This was made from scrap as a quick job to boost my moral during sill repairs.

DSCF0115s.jpg

This is held on by using the 2 bolts thet held the towbar drop plate, to clamp a pair of plates above and below the chassis. These plates bolted to the chassis supporeted the tube while I was tack welding it together with a G clamps clamping the tube to the origional bumper brakets on the chassis to stop it falling of the plates.

The tube was very thick wall so I just drilled and tapped it to take another pair of bolts using the origional bumper brakets on the chassis.

The recovery point is a single clevis in the middle. Strength wise, the 2 vertical bolts though the chassis handle the recovery forces well and the bolts at the edge of the chassis stop is twisting the chassis when jacking it up on one side with a hilift.

The bumper its self is far stronger than it needs to be and could be made lighter, the clevis sticks out a bit too far as well. Ideally this should be recessed like the clevis in in wolf defender front bumpers to clean up the departure angle and stop it plowing. The bumper is certainly stronger than the front of a range rover :ph34r:

Ooooh - The recessed Pin has just given me another Idea but I've got the gist of the mounts now :) - thanks for taking the time to put up the pics, Chris. ;)

It'll be a week or two before I start work but I intend to put up a thread when it's, as there are very few when you go searching.

Regards

W.