Defender brakes

hi

I am in the process of rebuilding my 90 onto a galvanised chassis and i have got to the stage of ordering the bits for the brakes.

My first question, has anyone used the stainless steel pistons from paddocks?

Secondly having striped the rear brakes down, both drums have some scoring and ideally should be replaced. What supplier do you recommend, genuine seem to be very expensive £60 per drum?

The other option would be to swap to a disco rear axle but in my old axle i have a 6 month old ashcroft 10 spline diff that i would like to retain.

so over to you guys

cheers

matt

hi

Red 90 i will look into getting the drums machined, all the parts advertised at that price are britpart and i don't trust them for safety related parts. LR series say britpart/bearmach so you don't know whats going to turn up, bearmach would be fine.

as for the diff it cost a fair bit of money to get it rebuilt and i cant afford to just chuck that away, does anyone know if it would fit the front axle i am pretty sure they can be interchanged just need to check?

thanks

matt

Yes, it will go in the front.

I'm pretty sure I've bought genuine one around that price. I doubt it makes much difference. It is the same brake drum for 40 years. I have used Britpart ones and they seem to do exactly the same thing as the genuine ones.

Here is an option for something in between? http://shop.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Drums.html