Transmission temperature warning light

Stephen337

Hi,

Just had the transmission temp light come on on my 300 Auto disco. Well I assume its the transmission light, it's a cog with a thermometer in the middle!

I cant get it to the local garage before next week, so I was wondering if what would happen if I were to ignore the light for a few days and drive to and from work (25miles on M25) for a few days before I can get in.

Is there a transmission fluid cooler I can check for being covered with crud? Anything simple I can do to diagnose it?

Thanks

Stephen

most coman is the switch has failed if it was a blocked oil cooler or a faulty oil pump you would have no drive.

did a full service on my 49lse the other day ran it to cornwall with the light on all the way tested it in cornwall switch was stuck took it out tapped it with a hammer been fine since

most coman is the switch has failed if it was a blocked oil cooler or a faulty oil pump you would have no drive.

did a full service on my 49lse the other day ran it to cornwall with the light on all the way tested it in cornwall switch was stuck took it out tapped it with a hammer been fine since

Thanks for the help!

What does the switch do? Or what is it supposed to be doing?

Ta

Stephen

Hi Stephen. I too have a 300TDi Auto and yes the temp light comes on. I gather from your post that yours has come on and stayed on which would possibly indicate a faulty temp sender which I think you will find below the alternator/engine fan area of the engine. I also recall being told it is a over temperature light for the transfer box as well as the autobox? :huh:

On my Disco the light was coming on during long hill climbs with a load on. I took the cooler out and found it to be partially blocked, trans fluid drained out very slowly. So due to an acute shortage of Land Rover transmission coolers down here I opted for an aftermarket Australian model that has at least 50% more arrear. As yet I have been unable to make the light come on again so fingers crossed

Yes the light is on even when starting from cold. The car drives fine.

I guess I wanted to know if the light being on was also a symptom of somthing else, maybe low fluid levels.

I'll check my levels.

Thanks for the help.

Stephen