p38 sunroof leak

ianpittas

hi all i have a 98 p38 with a leaky sunroof the water dribbles down the front drivers pillar,

and i can feel water in the well under the s/roof is there a drain channel up there.

also the seal around the glass looks a bit perished, is it meant to be completly water tight against the roof !!

regards

ian.

No its not meant to be water tight..

In each corner of the sun roof is a drain as you mentioned.

I expect you have the same problem that I have either the drain on the sun roof to the drain tube is broken or the drain tube has come off.

Before you start pulling the sun roof apart its worth checking that the drain tube is not blocked.. easiest way to do this is to blow down it with an air line. That or you have to take the inner wheel arch out to get at the drain.

Good luck.

I will add to this question when I finally fix my leak.

Cheers

Mark

• 2 months later...

It took some time to track it down and I forgot I replied to your question.

What I did eventually find was a small hair line crack in the seam sealer along the roof as it dips down towards the windscreen.

The roof looks like it’s actually made up of three sections. The large area with the sun roof fitted and the two side pieces either side of the channel’s along the roof for roof rack fits.

What I found was the three pieces are spot welded together and seam sealed, all well and good.

In the end I took the roof lining down and with the black channel out and everything cleaned up. I had a friend to pore water slowly in different places over the roof until I got a wet leg.

Small application of silicon and all is well.

• 2 weeks later...