rear diff problem !!!

wadey

Hi guys ,

well got all my new toys today from paddocks,2 weeks delivered here from Uk, not bad considering present weather conditions,

Anyway Hd springs and gas shock , well chuffed with an unexpected 50 rise in height (prob due to the existing setup looking a bit tired!),

safari snorkel on and light guards all round, LOOKING GOOD!!!,

next was a new rubber coupling between the rear prop and diff flange,

Heres the question!! once the old coupling was off we found the flange(Inputshaft???) that goes in to the diff is quite loose, which prob explains a the clung taking up gear!!,

any ideas on rectifying this want some advice before i open the diff up!!

Will post some pics of new toys in next day or two.

Cheers Wade

There is a large nut behind the locating pin for the roto-flex, this may not be tight. I would however expect there to be an oil leak if the flange is loose. This thread :- Click Here shows how to get it.

The nut does have a torque setting but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Pete.

editted to add :- Found the torque setting:- 130Nm (about 96 ft.lbs).

Edited by Pete Attryde

Before anything, what do you mean by "loose"? Up and down or side to side (radial play), in and out (axial play) or is it rotational play? And roughly how much play?

Any significant oil leak behind the 3 bolt flange? Any abnormal whining from the rear at any road speed?

P.S. What year is your Discovery?

Before anything, what do you mean by "loose"? Up and down or side to side (radial play), in and out (axial play) or is it rotational play? And roughly how much play?

Any significant oil leak behind the 3 bolt flange? Any abnormal whining from the rear at any road speed?

P.S. What year is your Discovery?

more radial than axial,prob about5to 10mm each way, and only a small leak, no whining apart from the occupant of the passenger seat occasionaly!!

and its a 94 300tdi ES

With 5 mm radial play I would expect almost all the oil in the diff to be gone by now. Check the oil level, normally it should be up to the filling plug level.

If that much play, I suspect the pinion bearing(s) and the oil seal are perished.