98 Disco gearbox & clutch

new2landies

Hello everybody, this is my first post here, i have just purchased a 98 disco 300 TDI, and never owning a landrover

before would like to ask a bit of advice.

The first thing is there is a slight clunk when letting the clutch right off quite quick when accelarating,

if done slowly it's not noticeable, just wondering what this could be seems to be from the front of the vehicle.

the next thing is that when changing to third (only up) i get a bit of a snatch felt on the gear stick.

is this just general "landrover quirks" as i have been told by a few friends who have owned them before,

or is this more serious, it's done 71k and has been serviced regulary from new to 60k may have been serviced more recently

but not stamped in the service book.

I am however going to carry out an oil change and new filters tomorrow, and fit an EGR removal kit

thanks in advance, i love the car, and think i've been bitten by the bug, i have been pining long enough for one mind

Regards

Rod

hi and welcome

to be fair both sound fairly normal

a disco is a big heavy car and isnt built for racing starts so does upset them a little and the r380 gearbox isnt the smoothest one in the world so give it a oil change and monitor it but dont worry too much ;)

rob

hi and welcome

to be fair both sound fairly normal

a disco is a big heavy car and isnt built for racing starts so does upset them a little and the r380 gearbox isnt the smoothest one in the world so give it a oil change and monitor it but dont worry too much ;)

rob

Thanks very much for the prompt reply Rob

I'll change the gearbox oil, will also do the transfer box and diffs sometime too when i get the time

Best regards

Rod

Hi there

There is a little round Metal object in line on the Clutch Hydraulic pipe right near the clutch slave cylinder

This is called a "WHOOP" Valve and this is in place to absorb feedback and noise from the clutch.

This can become and issue which causes a leakage of air into the system. I have experienced it on mine. You will still get clucth action but not the correct travel.

This can at first be in-noticeable. But will reveal itself in a snatch between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th.

I removed mine cleaned it with Meths and replaced it, problem solved. I was lucky.

It is not an essential item in the system so you can remove it at risk of a little noise on activating the clutch.

Modern vehicles also have this in another form, it is an extended clutch pipe with a section of rubber hose in it to absorb the feedback.

This might help you Good luck

Heds