Diesel ECU

DiscoStu

Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing a body swap on a Discovery 300Tdi. The Chassis, engingine etc is the Tdi (Manual), the new body is from a V8 ES (Auto).

Obviously there are a lot of changes required, from transmission tunnel gaiters to fuel filler pipes! I admit, a similar diesel manual body would have been easier!

I'm seriously considering not transferring the diesel ecu from the old body to the new one - I think it would not be too dificult to wire the starter, fuel solenoid etc from the ignition circuit.

Does anyone know of a downside to doing this? What other functions will I be loosing/problems will I be creating?

I will say as a caveat that I'm not too worried about immobilser functions - I have much more robust plans in that direction.

Stu.

A 300tdi with manual transmission should not have an EDC (diesel ecu) in the first place, unless someone carried an auto to manual conversion or it's a very rare animal. See here how to recognize an EDC 300tdi: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=17862

But if it has, removing the ECU involves replacing the injection pump with the mechanical version.

Other than that, no other problems.