Dual Mass Flywheel Fault

EdF

In the last year, covering 12,000 miles, I've noticed what seems to be clutch slip for 2 - 3 seconds on about 5 occasions in my 2002 90 TD5, usually in 5th gear at a reasonable speed, uphill on a motorway (so not that steep) and last week under normal acceleration on the level. I met a guy who runs a Landy repair business and he reckoned it was the dual mass flywheel causing the problems, not the clutch as I suspected. I found in tech archives an interesting topic by Jim Attrill about the flywheel, but I can't find an answer to these questions:-

Can the flywheel being 'on the way out' cause a symptom like the clutch slipping?

Can the flywheel come apart in use?

Today, towing 1½ tonnes approx uphill for 1/4 mile for the first time there was a smell - presumably from the clutch - but no slipping. It seems a strip-down is required, but I'm worried whether the flywheel can 'let go' before I can work on it. A solid flywheel and clutch kit is £287+vat from Brightwells and more from Britpart but a clutch on it's own costs much less. Perhaps it would be best to do the whole thing, all things considered? Any ideas? Many thanks for any replies..

The Dual mass unit on our A4 was absolutely fubarred (see the video here to see just how bad it was: http://friesian.lr90.org/gallery2/v/A4/MOV00402.MP4.html)

It however never slipped at all. At one point it lost all its damping, so slipping the clutch when pulling away was a horrible juddery experience, but even with the engine remapped and the clutch having done 194k, it never slipped.