Disco 1 m reg alarm new or repair

pinkbeef

I have a Disco 1, M Reg.

No key fob for the alarm, and the central locking is playing up.

Question: should I repair the alarm system or replace it with a new alarm system.

If I strip out the components of the original system, to allow me to use the existing wiring with a new system. Will this create any known problems.

If I do this I want to replace the immobilizer, alarm system, door actuators.

I know my Freebie was a real pig to deal with, can I look forward to another day of despair.

Doc.

I would consider talking to your insurance co. If fitting a cat 1 alarm will reduce your premium then it's defintely the way forward. Costs between 300 and 500 for a decent alarm, get someone to fit it for you so you know the work is guaranteed.

It is possible to get hold of a 14as alarm system and fobs and bash it into your disco but if you are not 100% confident don't. All alarm and imboloisation wires are black to stop people messing around with it.

I personally just had a cat 1 fitted to my disco and it works a treat, far better than the factory which the fitting co bypassed.

Think about how much you wish to spend DIY can lead to expensive bills if it goes wrong, pro is normally a fixed cost.

Good luck!

Dave

£500.00 is far too much, toad and vipers cost around £150.00, as for fitting its all just maths. Im more intrested in any ill effects if any, from fitting a off the shelf system.

I got a second hand alarm/central locking module complete with two keyfobs for £15 on eBay.

Easy to change, just two wiring connectors and the push-in aerial cable. Now the whole thing works perfectly.