2003 td5 disco clutch

chally2

Hi every one.

Here's a question and I haven't found the answer on other threads,

I have a 2003 disco with 40000 on the clock, a few months a go it was getting increasingly difficult to engage gear especially 4th on a long drive. At times it became impossible to engage any gear. But some times its fine.

At first I thought it could be gear box ie syncro on the 4th. But I now can confirm it is the clutch as I have driven it around with out using he clutch just crashing it in, and it changed gear with out fault. Easier than with the clutch.

The clutch it self has very little free play, ie I can just take my weight of my toe off the pedal and it has engaged.

Fluid remains the same in the resivoir.

As there is no adjustment I'm guessing I have to start changing components, but I don't want to change both master and slave if it isn't necesary.

I am thinking the master is the most probable fault.

Does any one have a thought or a similar problem.

I think I have covered all the points.

Thanks for your help

Chally2

I repaired a Disco over xmas that was low mileage, but the same syptoms as yours - it was the clutch slave, which was partly siezed in the bore. A partly siezed master will give you the same symptoms though.

To test -

Remove the clutch slave from the flywheel housing, but leave the pipe connected. Try to push the piston back in the bore with a screwdriver or similar. If it appears solid, then open the bleed nipple on it and try gain. If the piston slides back smoothly, then the master cylinder is faulty (piston not returning due to bore wear). If the slave piston is still solid, the the slave needs replacing.

Les.