Gearbox help (i think)

A Farrier

Hi...I'm new here and i'd like t ask your help...

I have a 2000 300ti TD5 and i love it, but... it's making an odd noise between 1000 and 1500rpm most noticible in 2nd, 3rd and reverse gears.

I'm not too sure how to describe it...a bit like having a stick stuck in your bicycle frame, catching the spokes of the wheel as it goes around, or something stuck on your tyre as it goes round you har it every time it makes contact with the road ( i hope that makes some kind of sense)

It only does it when in gear, stops when clutch depressed or in neutral. Also, "seems" to disappear at higher engine revs...tho i'm not sure if the engine noise just masks it.

It also "sounds like" its coming from the back of the engine bay, slightly passenger side of centre. (thats only from me hearing it whilst i'm driving)

ANY help would be hugely appreciated :D:D:D

Without being able to hear it, it is possible that your exhaust is catching against either the gearbox or the chassis somewhere. This has been known to happen, but more normally on TD5 Defenders. But it is worth taking a look.