non starter

Ian

I'm having some trouble with starting the disco 300tdi. the starter (a re con replacement) packed up the other week. it was the 3 gear cogs that just disintergrated. I've since got a second hand 'Bosch' from a scrapyard. the thing is it only just turns over the engine, and drains the battery within seconds. about 10/12 secs on continues starting. it also feels very hot. understandable. I've checked/changed the brushers, solenoid and motor part but with no difference. could it be something else.it never drained the battery this quick or felt as if something was restricting it. Help.

i may be replacing the motor with a early model 300tdi. where should i look for one and where could i get it reconditioned. Thx Ian

p.s it has ECU, think this may be something to do with it. how would i know if its knacked

I'm having some trouble with starting the disco 300tdi. the starter (a re con replacement) packed up the other week. it was the 3 gear cogs that just disintergrated. I've since got a second hand 'Bosch' from a scrapyard. the thing is it only just turns over the engine, and drains the battery within seconds. about 10/12 secs on continues starting. it also feels very hot. understandable. I've checked/changed the brushers, solenoid and motor part but with no difference. could it be something else.it never drained the battery this quick or felt as if something was restricting it. Help.

i may be replacing the motor with a early model 300tdi. where should i look for one and where could i get it reconditioned. Thx Ian

p.s it has ECU, think this may be something to do with it. how would i know if its knacked

The hot / slow / battery drain thing sounds like it is the right starter, but working very very hard to turn the engine over. Is this happening since the first one broke up? If so, did you find all the pieces :ph34r: ?

What else could have changed, like had you done any engine work just before?

Lastly, what are your thoughts to make the ECU a culprit? The engine should spin OK with it disconnected or attached, it just won't start without the ECU. If you're convinced its the ECU, either get the diagnostics tool on it or swap it for a known good one.