TD5 - replace all joints on swivel assembly

Andy J

Hi folks,

spring is nearly here and its time to start rolling around under my car and fixing all those things that have been niggling all winter. One of the things i need to do is replace the ball joints on my swivel assemblies (TD5 single unit type) but im not sure of this is doable. I just replaced the lower bushes on my front shocks as they were kaput thinking that would solve all my knocks and wobbles at the front end, only to find that that the passenger side ball joints have some play.

The parts seem cheap enough to acquire but ive not seen any topics or descriptions of these being replaced by the home mechanic, so im wondering if that is because (a) its so easy why would i even be asking or as i suspect (b) its a pig of a job.

Anyone got any advice - im pretty adept at repairing most things on my cars, so not afraid of many jobs. More concerned with how long i might put my car off the road and what kind of tools i might need ;-)

Thanks in advance

Andy

PS: I've come to the conclusion that the ideal location for a cup holder is just next to the radiator in the engine bay :-)

got one of these to do mine last year an worked well used some socketts and and bits of scrap for some spacers http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ball-Joint-Service-Remover-Separator-4x4-Adaptors-NEW_W0QQitemZ250515820882QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3a53e81152

Thanks Martin,

just wondering if its possible to do this with or without removing the entire hub assembly? Thanks for the link as i will need the removal kit regardless of whether i have to strip the hub down.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Martin,

just wondering if its possible to do this with or without removing the entire hub assembly? Thanks for the link as i will need the removal kit regardless of whether i have to strip the hub down.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks very much Martin - i think i will try and document it for the Forum. Seems like a common job that is missing from the Tech Archive. Just got the RAVE cds from downloaded so can see whats ahead :-)

Cheers

Andy