300tdi clutch questions

piper109

Hi,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I am UK expat living in the Carolinas.

I recently converted a V8 Disco 1 to 300tdi and swapped in a 5 speed R380 at the same time. I modified the pedal assembly using parts I bought with the UK engine assembly etc so it has the clutch pedal and master cylinder.

All is up and running but the clutch does not feel good.

The clutch engages very close to the floor. I have rebuilt the master cylinder, slave cylinder and purged it multiple times.

The R380 is prone to crunching as it is far from new (about 160k miles) but gear changes are fine if the clutch is really well released.

1 Is it possible that one of the keys that push the release bearing fell out during assembly of the transmission to engine?

If I had done that would the clutch work at all?

2 I have not fitted a plastic retainer (very hard to find in US) to the clutch push rod and arm but instead felt it into place.

How important is that retainer?

3 Is there sound proofing material behind the carpet in a manual Disco which limits how far the pedal goes down? I might get more stroke on the pedal if it cut some away.

Any words of wisdom on the clutch operation?

thanks, Steve