Strong vibration

therealboss

Went to UK last week in my 2004 TD4 Freelander and on the motorway at about 55mph until 65+mph there is a strong vibration. The vibration is not from the front or the rear but from the centre.

Just to be sure I had all the wheels balanced but no change, when I got home I jacked up the front if the car and where the rear prop joins the IRD there is a big rubber spacer, that was very hot and signs of oil or grease across the underside inline with the rubber spacer.

I also noticed OSF drive shaft rubber has a split and has thrown grease over the under side of the car. I now see oil leaking from my rear diff NSR.

Before I took the car to the UK it had a full service and I noticed that the front rear diff mounting was a little worn so I replaced it and at the same time checked all of the drive train for leaks and signs of ware but all was OK.

I guess what I'm asking here is the following:-

1, What is the name of the rubber spacer brtween the prop shaft and the IRD?

2, Now that this spacer needs to be replaced, will I have to get the bearing on the IRD output replaced?

3, Do these rubber spacers need to be replaced and if so how often?

4, Should I just replace the boot on the OSF drive shaft as I cant find any play in the joint or should I replace the whole drive shaft?

I,m sure the VCU is OK as its only 18 months old and was replaced by the dealer and has only done 20k miles. When I put the car in reverse on full lock I cant feel any drag like I could when the VCD was gone last time?

Any advice welcome.

1) There is a CV joint on the end of the prop shaft as it meets the IRD I have broken one of these after racing with a broken engine mount damaged it. this will give a aggressive vibration it (looks like a spacer).

2) up to you I didn't when I broke mine but I didn't do any real mileage in the racer is it leaking oil.

3) I think it's the front props CV but I could be wrong it not very common for them to fail having said that if its split and all the grease has leaked out then it will fail.

4) you can buy new gaiters and fix it urgently as all the grease will come out then the CV its self die rapidly and need replacing, they are expensive in comparison to a £10 CV gaiter. I have killed many this way if a gator splits the cv would not last long at all in racing conditions a few laps maybe a quick fix short term is repack it with grease then rap the gaiter in self amalgamating tape ensuring it can't catch the shocks etc. which are very close to it that will stop any damage to the CV until you can get it fixed but keep checking its not split again

Jules

Thank you, can you tell me where I can buy a CV joint for the end of the prop shaft or will I have to get a whole new prop?

I would recomend taking it off to have a goodlook first, Whe I reolaced mine I had to buy a new prop but they may now do them

you can drive without the prop on and also you can see if the vibration stops