From sputtering and dying to zooming and flying... what gives?

Piranhaboy

I've been looking through the forum for some indication of what's happening and it seems the throttle position sensor may be my focus. Here's the deal. Two days ago my sweet disco started sputtering and stalling when i stopped. When i accelerated, it wouldn't move until i floored it and only then did it start to pump out black smoke and start to move.

I sprayed carb cleaner around and in the intake including the MAF and throttle body. I removed the TPS and sprayed that. Found four bad spots in the cruise control vacuum and fixed them. Put the thing together and now it revs up to 2000 and wants to go airborne, it seems.

I can't see the vacuum lines doing this as they were only for the cruise control. Could cleaning the intake assembly create this? I was wondering if the idle needed adjusting but it doesn't seem to be adjustable. Is the TPS knackered do you think?

the TPS may need resetting as you have removed it.

a different car i know but on our MGF the way to reset it is to turn on the ignition and fully depress the throttle half a dozen times or so then try and start it.it may work the same you never know.