High side exit exhaust.

Greetings,

I'm wanting to re-route the exhaust exit up to make it less vunerable as seems pretty common (early 300 tdi 90). I was intending to keep my resonator box at the back and was just going to have the route of the tail pipe choped, changed and brought further up.

I am however concerned about the fact that it will exit above the height of the rear box. Is there a problem associated with water / mud getting down the exhaust and sitting in the back box? I figured that if it's just a bit of water that trickles in it will just evaporate and be blown out after a decent run. but, if it was carrying alot of mud would it just leave the sediment in the exhaust?

It may be a non issue if the engine is running at a reasonable lick and keeping the water out, however it has just been on my mind that with a resonably steep drop after the exit water is bound to get in at some rate and not a point to run out.

Help as always is much appreciated.

yep, it's been covered before, do a search for side exhaust.

i did mine on the 110 last year to replace the resonator box which had gone rusty due to landrovers fantastic idea to put the box right in the line of all the carp that gets under the arches!

there are a couple of pre-made kits, but i made mine from bits of exhaust pipe i got from my local fitters, works well.

and don't worry about the resonator box, you don't need it for emissions and it makes no difference noise wise.

HTH :)

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I've read every entry that comes up on a search for side exit exhaust, or at least I think I have, and the only sort of relevant part to my question was that if you stall it will fill up the pipe.

I'm not fussed about a kit, and will either get the bits of pipe and weld it up myself or have an exhaust shop do it. I was planning on keeping the resonator as I often use my 90 for lamping so would rather it relatively quiet.

My question is more about crud and rubbish getting into the exhaust and not being able to escape.

I think I may lamp in a different way to you, I have someone aiming a spot lamp, and and then use a rifle or two. Usually rabbits and foxes at night. The land I shoot over is quite varied and has a number of stream / small river crossings. Generally the extra height is a bonus.

I think I may lamp in a different way to you, I have someone aiming a spot lamp, and and then use a rifle or two. Usually rabbits and foxes at night. The land I shoot over is quite varied and has a number of stream / small river crossings. Generally the extra height is a bonus.

ahh ok i dont lamp i just thought it involved dazzleling with headlights then driving into them