Serpentine Belt: 300 tdi (early `95)

Debs.

I`ve not had my Disco 1 for many weeks yet; so I`m gradually finding my way `round the idiosyncrasies.

I`d noticed that the power steering seemed to 'run out of puff' after any (near) lock to lock manoeuvre and the engine idle was accompanied by the usual budgie-chorus.

I checked the belt and tensioner`s bearing condition and both seemed ok; except the wear indicator on the belt tensioner seemed the wrong way, with the outer (moving) line 10 mm. to the right of the rear (static) line...checking the belt size markings it was a 7PK1605 :unsure:

Investigated a bit and found the size listed at my Motor Factor for my VIN was a 7PK1580....which would not mount at all; so, clearly the 'book' was of no use :rolleyes:.......Thankfully, the parts counter chaps are kind and let me try a few different belts to get the best fit: eventually settled on the 7PK1593 (Gates Micro-V XF) which puts the belt wear marking at 10 mm to the left of the static line.

The penny-trick scared the budgies away and the power steering seems to have much more stamina now.:D

post-9870-015771400 1289391865_thumb.jpg

THis often happens when the alternator is replaced... the pully on the old ones is bigger than the new ones. So, you put the new alt on, and the belt needs to shorten. 1595 is the 'old', 1580 is the 'new'. However, I've also found people selling 1575 belts which reduces the amount of bounce on the tensioner.

My Disco seems to go through a belt every 6-9 months, not sure the exact cause, but I did find the 'penny trick' made it shut up!

Scott