200 tdi Timing belt

trr777

Hi everyone, just started my first ever attempt at changing a cam belt, :blink: on my Discovery 200tdi which I use for RTV's when I'm able to ,anyway, I digress, just stripped everything of and removed the timing chest cover to find the belt still in one piece apart from a section approx 7" long, where all the teeth had stripped off, just leaving the belt backing holding it all together. Is this normal/typical of cam belt failure?, or does it indicate some other problem?, engine still turns over fine,on the starter, also , strangely, this problem occured when the engine was ticking over!?, any thoughts/experience much appreceiated

With 7' of teeth missing, i would be very supprised if the timing isnt out!

If you are still cranking it in this condition you will probably have bent the push rods, possibly broken the rocker shaft and maybe the followers.

Take the rocker cover off and check all.

Would suggest you take the rockershaft off before you try to time it back up again

Ok, I should edit this to read, I know the timing is out (thats why the engine stopped, when the belt stripped) and nothing is broken in the valve train (bought a new set of push rods with the timing belt kit) would like to know if there's any other experience of this or what caused it as the belt was allegedly not that old?, did'nt appear overtight either, thanks.

Ok, I should edit this to read, I know the timing is out (thats why the engine stopped, when the belt stripped) and nothing is broken in the valve train (bought a new set of push rods with the timing belt kit) would like to know if there's any other experience of this or what caused it as the belt was allegedly not that old?, did'nt appear overtight either, thanks.

Britpart perhaps!?