200 tdi heater issues

born to tow

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone may have come accross the problem I am having with my 200tdi heater. my disco is 1993 and has aircon but the fan only blows when on the frost symbol and no other. I am asking for advice because I just need to get some warm into mmy cab brrrrrr.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, the aircon uses a pair of fans in the passenger footwell while the heater uses a fan in the heater unit behind the dash. It sounds like your heater blower has packed up although check the switches and wiring before you go any further. If it has then a new fan costs a bit over a hundred quid and to fit it you will need to remove the dash. I didn't find this anywhere near as bad as it was made out to be, removal took about an hour but it is a large lump to move and some of the fixings are tricky to get at.

Hi, the aircon uses a pair of fans in the passenger footwell while the heater uses a fan in the heater unit behind the dash. It sounds like your heater blower has packed up although check the switches and wiring before you go any further. If it has then a new fan costs a bit over a hundred quid and to fit it you will need to remove the dash. I didn't find this anywhere near as bad as it was made out to be, removal took about an hour but it is a large lump to move and some of the fixings are tricky to get at.

Thankyou for your reply, what you say seems to be the case, and now I know the heater and air con run on different fans it makes sense so I will look into the operation of the heater fan as soon as i can. thinking on when I try to operate the heater settings it seems to load the electrics, now im thinking the motor is unserviceable. Thanks for your reply :)

Does it blow cold air or just not blow? If its cold air try changingn the thermostat unless you know its good, If its not blowing its a non working blower, so check the fuses and if its not them its a dash out job

Thanks for the reply, the thermostat is workin fine, have noticed all parts that should are getting hot and hot air eminates from the dash but doesnt seem to blow out, this is making me think it is a blower problem. Thanks again for the reply, a little bit more investigation is required me thinks. ;)

hello again, somebody mentioned to me that there is a vacum hose that is connected to the heating system that should be attatched to the tee piece in the brake servo pipe, can anyone shed any light on this as there is a tee piece but nothing attatched to it, this was affecting my servo performance so for the time being it has been blanked off, many thanks in advance. :blink::ph34r:

• 4 months later...

was your issue ever resolved.

I am asking because I had the same problem with my 1992 disco air con

On my disco the fan would only work on high speed. Then it packed up one day. I replaced the fan unit and it still only worked on full speed. The consensus was that it was the switch. Now (after changing the head gasket ?!!!?) I have no heater blower at all.

I am seriously considering starting from scratch with the wiring.

Has anyone out there bypassed all the wiring to start from scratch ?

Regards BW