300TDi cruise control

Niamh

OK, the test seems meaningful if one does it with the engine running.

The actuator moves slowly and then revs build up as the throttle is actuated.

Not that it seems that responsive, it takes 5 - 10 seconds before the throttle seems to actually open at all.

Could the Bowden cable have become excessively stiff after several years of no use?

Niamh

I was about to suggest that, along with wear in the diaphragm unit. Does it disengage quickly enough? if not then again the cable but if that is fine then perhaps a new vacuum pump unit, IIRC it has a rubber membrane rather thana a dry piston seal but a slow leak or duff pump could give you slow actuation. Also look for collapsed vac hoses (kinks etc).

Whereabouts are you in the world?

Moving the cable manually it seems free enough if someone has their foot on the pedal to remove the return spring tension.

Our problem is we don't know how fast it should operate.

A fair leak test should be to switch off the pump but leave the solenoid engaged... the throttle should remain open if there are no leaks, I think.

We're down in SW Wales :)

Niamh

You should be able to move the diaphram by sucking the tube in your mouth, or if you run the cruise air pump with jump leads (you also need to close the valve). Cruise should come into play within a second or so, any longer and it's too vague, though I have noticed a difference when I've changed components like the pump unit.