Knocking brakes

Pepperish

Hello,

I have just changed the discs and pads on our 2004 Freelander. I've done this job many times on many different cars but have come a bit stuck on this...

The drivers side is knocking under hard braking. The wheel doesn't judder so I guess it's not warped discs? The only thing I can think of are the sliding pins need replacing?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi- I changed discs and pads on my 04 V6 Sport at 27k- the brakes were noisy and made a knocking sound when braking slowly. I think the problem was the lip left on the discs- so at first I ground it off and the noIse dissapeared. a year later, it came back - hence the replacements! iI got them from an Ebay trader and have no complaints. They do rust up quickly and are noisy on slow braking when I havent used the car for a bit. The other thingh that I thought of was siezed caliper- which would cause an on/off type reaction.

Rgds

PatM

My discs and pads were changed when I bought my 2005 TD4 auto, a few months ago, by the dealer, turns out that the inner pads had been fitted in the outer pad position (larger leading edge on one of the pads) resulting in brake squeal, fitted the pads correctly and squeal now gone.

Thanks for the replies.

They are brand new discs and pads so not down to a lip or anything. I have also just replaced the caliper sliding pins and this has made no different.

It seems to happening after the brakes get hot, i.e. a couple of stops. It doesn't do it at first. And it's definitely just the drivers side.

Perhaps I've bought a duff disc?