2003 Discovery Clutch

bizboz

I had the Discovery serviced (96K service but has only done 46K miles) and this covered all the fluid changes. I thought the clutch was a bit iffy after I got it back, and had a read throught forums about bleeding it. Had a go a couple of weeks ago, and got some air out, but still spongy, directly related to the time spent immobile. Never went completeley and a couple of pumps restored the pressure and bite.

However, I had to go down to Coventry this week, and after an hour on the motorway in 5th gear, the clutch had disappeared together, which I discovered as I entered the slip road.... a bit of lateral thinking and a few pumps it was restored and I could change gear agan !

I am not losing fluid, so don't think there is a leak, but I am unsire now whether it is just still a bleeding problem, in which case I would take ot back to Lakeland Land Rovers and tell them to please restore the motor to the pre-service efficency level, or there may be a snag with the master cylinder?

When I drove back up, exactly the same, any prolonged time without clustch use, or, parked up for a couple of days (which makes me think it is not temperature related) the pressure just dissapears, but round town, when I am using the clutch all the time not a problem...

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks

J

• 4 weeks later...

When slave cylinders start to fail it's quite common for air to be sucked into the cylinder while almost no fluid leaks out, so you bleed it and it's ok for a while and then air is pulled in and no pedal again. Once you've bled the system, that should be it. Any small amount of air in the system bleeds itself out over a day or two of use. If you are having to repeatedly bleed the system, then it's likely that the slave is on it's way out. The only way to check is to remove the slave and peel back the dust cover on it. If there's a small amount of fluid in there, then it's new slave time

Les..