300TDi injection pump

Niamh

I've got a second hand injection pump here that was obviously removed without being locked at the timimg position.

Can I simply tuen it so the timing pin goes in and then lock it prior to fitting? I assume so, but...

Niamh

As long as the sprocket hub hasn't been removed (the centre nut undone), then yes. Fit the pump and then the sprocket (leave the sprocket bolts a little loose), then turn the pump via the centre nut and insert the locking pin/nail/drill bit/etc. As long as that centre hub hasn't been touched, then timing is ok.

Les.

I doubt I'm going to be able to turn it the 90 degree required once it's in place and the sprocket attached even loosely (I'll be using the appropriate tool through the inspection hole to lock the sprocket prior to pulling the old pump.

That's why I want to turn the pump and lock it before fitting IYSWIM

Niamh

The pump can be locked in the timing position without the sprocket being fitted to it, via a locking pin. You'll find that if you remove the pin in order to fit the sprocket, then it'll crank over a small amount. A 9mm drill bit will keep it in the locked position while you install the pump and will allow the sprocket to be fitted without removing it.

You'll lose belt tension though - do you have the sprocket retaing tool ?

Les.