steering concerns...

Mark

I started to take the drag link off tonight, as I am changint to sumo bars. However, The end of the drag link has the ball joint attached to the drop arm from the steering box. This has caused me some concern as

1) i cannot separate the ball joint from the casting on the end of the draglink, and

2) the drop arm appears to be very loose on the splines on the steering box.

The ball joint seems quite shagged, so can I get the joint alone, or do I need to replace the entire droparm from the steering box?

Also, shouldn't this be pretty tight on the splines?

Cheers

Mark

You can get both the drop arm (Paddocks do them from £26 + vat) and the balljoint kit for about £5.75 +vat.

The splines on the bottom of the steering box are tapered so the drop arm may only go tight once the securing nut is tight. Check the splines on the shaft & the drop arm to make sure there isn't any ware, the securing nut may have been loose at some time.

When you removed the drop arm, did it come off easy or did you have to use a puller and was the nut tight and secured with the locking washer?

So far I havn't removed the drop arm, or even un done the securing nut - But it is definatly loose! I can only assume it shouldnt be (but may account for some of the play in the steering!

Guess it would be easier to just get the drop arm with the ball joint already in it...

Cheers

Mark

In that case Mark, no it shouldn't be loose! ;)

I think I'd remove it and have a look before buying anything, just in case the nut has need locked off short of where it should be and to make sure that any ware IS on the drop arm and not on the steering box shaft.