Discovery problems

dm90

Hi Guys,

Have just recently sold my 90 and bought a 1996 300tdi discovery ES

Its got a few little problems which i hope arent going to be to much work and money to fix.

One of the is with the rev counter. When the behicle is up to temperature it seems to work fine but when cold it seems to have a mind of its own and just bounces about all over the place. Anybody ever thad this problem?

Also when taking up drive or letting of the throttle it seems to be clunking a fair bit.

I have had a search and i think it may be the rubber bush or "donut" at the end of the rear propshaft, Could this be the problem?

I was also wondering if a two or three inch suspension lift and some wheel arch mods would be enough to fit a set of 33x12.50x15?

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Rev counter could be the 'w' terminal being a little loose on the back of the alternator (where the rev information is picked up from) cheack all the leads are nice and tight and secure. Clunking in the drive could be at several points in the drive-train. Transfer box diffs are known to go a little sloppy as are the axle differentials. I wouldnt have thought the input shaft splines are that worn on your MY as it should have the cross drilled input gear but anything is possible! disconnect the props and check all drive flanges for backlash to see where the most is. Trouble is every little bit adds up in series to create a larger overall amount of slop.

Hi Guys,

Have just recently sold my 90 and bought a 1996 300tdi discovery ES

Its got a few little problems which i hope arent going to be to much work and money to fix.

One of the is with the rev counter. When the behicle is up to temperature it seems to work fine but when cold it seems to have a mind of its own and just bounces about all over the place. Anybody ever thad this problem?

Check the connection on the back of the alternator, and check that the wire hasnt gone brittle due to heat

Also when taking up drive or letting of the throttle it seems to be clunking a fair bit.

I have had a search and i think it may be the rubber bush or "donut" at the end of the rear propshaft, Could this be the problem?

Could be or could be propshaft U/J's, transfer box output bearings, gearbox, diffs. You need to gewt underneath and have a good pull and prod about

I was also wondering if a two or three inch suspension lift and some wheel arch mods would be enough to fit a set of 33x12.50x15?

Any help greatly appreciated :D